About the Churches

There has been a church on the site of the present church of St. Martin since the early 11th century and the building you see today with its 210-ft spire was completed in 1877.  We are very fortunate in having support from the Friends of St Martin's in helping us maintain this fine Victorian building.

St. Martin’s has a daughter church of St. Mary the Virgin at Pixham (see http://www.pixhamresidents.org/Home/st-marys-church ) which lies at the foot of Box Hill and is linked with St. Barnabas, the Pilgrims’ church, up on Ranmore Common on the North Downs Way.

The latter two churches have their own publications explaining their history and when services take place.

The sharing of St Martin’s with the Methodists came about when the Methodist church closed their large church in South Street Church in 1973 and joined in a sharing agreement with the Anglican Church to share St. Martin’s Church building and, three years later, the Christian Centre. We both use the Centre as a Church Hall.